NBC NEWS APOLOGIZES FOR EDITING GEORGE ZIMMERMAN’S 911 CALL

THE HISPANIC BLOG IS THE LATEST HISPANIC NEWS BY JESSICA MARIE GUTIERREZ

NBC News apologized for the way it edited the 911 conversation between George Zimmerman and a police dispatcher in the Trayvon Martin case.

NBC’sToday” show ran edited audio last week that appeared to reveal Zimmerman saying, “This guy looks like he’s up to no good … he looks black.”

But a transcript of the 911 call showed that Zimmerman actually said, “This guy looks like he’s up to no good. Or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining, and he’s just walking around, looking about.”

The 911 handler responded, “OK, and this guy — is he black, white or Hispanic?”
“He looks black,” Zimmerman replied.

Zimmerman, a volunteer neighborhood watch leader, admitted shooting and killing 17-year-old Martin in Sanford, Fla., in February but claimed it was in self-defense and justified under the state’s Stand Your Ground law. He also claimed Martin attacked him.

Trayvon Martin case: George Zimmerman's brother claims medical data will verify shooter's story

Martin was unarmed when he was killed by Zimmerman, who followed him despite being told not to by a 911 dispatcher. The shooting is being investigated.

Martin’s death sparked protests across the US, with many angry that no charges were filed against Zimmerman.

The NBC audio was aired Mar. 27. Critics claimed the edited version suggested Zimmerman targeted Martin because he was black.

The network launched an investigation after criticism in other media. Fox News presented a “before” and “after” version of the call last week.

A statement from NBC said Tuesday, “During our investigation, it became evident that there was an error made in the production process that we deeply regret. We will be taking the necessary steps to prevent this from happening in the future and apologize to viewers.”

Attorney Craig Sonner said Monday that Zimmerman would hand himself in if charges were filed against him.

“If he is asked, he will turn himself in,” Sonner said. “There’s not going to be a manhunt or anything like that. We’re preparing for trial. We’ve done all we can except ask for discovery [evidence-sharing] from the state, which is not available to us yet.”

Read more: FOX NEWS LATINO

SUBSCRIBE to The Hispanic Blog to stay on top of the latest latino news, politics and entertainment!

Don’t be shy SUBSCRIBE – COMMENT – LIKE ME -CIRCLE ME AND FOLLOW ME

If you have any questions, concerns or simply would like to get a quote on my Marketing, Public Relations, Social Media and/or Events services, please feel free to contact me at thehispanicblog@gmail.com.

God Bless and may you have a fabulous day!

powered by Influential Access – “Transforming the Ordinary to EXTRAordinary!” – CEO – Jessica Marie Gutierrez – Creator of The Hispanic Blog #thehispanicblog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s